Ingredients Labeling - Try Number Two!

I had posted earlier about our effort to label our 2010 Charles Vineyard Semillon with ingredients (grapes and sulfur dioxide) and a statement reading "this wine is suitable for vegetarian and vegans." We submitted the label to the TTB for a label approval (a necessary hoop to jump through before bottling any wine), and it was rejected.

Our rejection stated that our ingredients statement was not complete. What?? So I called the TTB and a wonderful lady there told me that they probably assumed we missed something. Like yeast, acid, enzymes, or something, surely. After all, no one makes wine with just grapes and sulfur dioxide!

This prompted me to explain that we fermented this wine with 100% wild yeast, 100% wild ML strains, and then added nothing but some sulfur dioxide for protection and aging potential. The wine will be bottled unfined and unfiltered late in the summer.

Her suggestion was that I amend the application and add this statement for clarification:

OUR INGREDIENT STATEMENT IS COMPLETE - WE USED ONLY WILD YEAST AND WILD MALOLACTIC STRAINS AND ADDED NO OTHER INGREDIENTS IN THE WINEMAKING PROCESS. WE LABELED THIS AS SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS BECAUSE NO INGREDIENTS WERE USED OTHER THAN SULFUR DIOXIDE, THUS NOTHING WAS USED THAT WAS DERIVED FROM AN ANIMAL PRODUCT. 

So, in went the application again. And, hopefully, in about 20 days, we'll get an approval back. Crossing my fingers, because if they tell me again that we can't make wine with just grapes and sulfur, I might go on a tirade!

Comments

Popular Posts